I've tried four different skirt patterns at this point, and so far this has been the best of the batch, and the closest to period imagery. I do hope to eventually get a more authentic pattern from Truly Victorian or the like, but for right now this is what I've got to work with.
My first go at this pattern was with a cheap and ugly brown cotton/poly blend. I really try to never waste my good fabric on the first go with patterns I'm unsure about. By following the pattern exactly, I ended up with a very slim skirt that fit into the waistband without pleats or gathers.
I love the effect of the black grosgrain ribbon at the bottom. I was planning on doing the pattern's design, but I ran out of ribbon. If I decide to do it again, I will use a thicker ribbon, because this 3/8" ribbon is a little too thin.